Below is an in-depth question and answer on all things hormones. If you have some time we highly recommend watching this video as well.
What can Bioidentical Hormones do for my body?
- Bioidentical Hormones are multicellular organisms that are made to match the existing molecular levels in the human body. They are extracted from plants, usually from yam and soy. They are carefully produced in order to replace or reach a directed level of hormones in women and men. As soon as these plant hormones are synthesized, they are introduced to the body and taken like body-produced organisms. The efficacy of these manufactured hormones may vary on how they are taken, such as oral, intravenous or through the use of topical emulsions. Most people find topical Bioidentical Hormones very easy and safe to use.
Are Bioidentical Hormones approved by the FDA?
- At present, customized Bioidentical Hormones are not approved by the FDA. This is because pharmaceutical companies are not authorized to patent plant extracts. Instead, they can patent chemicals that are used to change the molecular structures of the plants they use. Chemists can synthesize the hormones first then have them patented, so profits can be given to drug companies. On the other hand, hormones that are synthetically altered and extracted from yam and soy, also known as Prempro, Provera and Premarin, are approved by the FDA. This is because these hormones are fixed and not majorly customized like other extracts. Many people seek Bioidentical Hormone Treatment to have their imbalances treated accurately.
Are there differences between Bioidentical Hormones and Synthetic Hormones?
- The good thing about Bioidentical Hormones is that they can be absorbed by the body well because they are taken from plants like yam or soy, which have molecular structures that are identical to the structures of estrogen and progesterone. Bioidentical Hormones can provide better results on hormonal imbalances as they can be tailored according to one’s needs. Unlike Bioidentical Hormones, Synthetic Hormones are mass produced and pose more health risks to patients. They are not manufactured for specific imbalances, thus, the right amounts of hormones entering the body cannot be accurately monitored. Synthetic Hormones are usually derived from plant and animal hormones, which can sometimes be harmful to humans. Simply said, Synthetic Hormones are not the same from Bioidentical Hormones as they have different molecular structures. Synthetic Hormones have their own chemical bonds, which may not be recognized by body and can be considered as toxins.
How do you define Bioidentical Hormone Replacement Therapy?
- The introduction of Bioidentical Hormones in your body is basically the focus of BHRT. Although both Synthetic and Bioidentical Hormones are altered by chemists, Synthetic Hormones are not made exactly according to the needs of each patient. Bioidentical Hormones, on the other hand, are derived from sources that are similar to the body’s molecular levels and are matched to the specific needs of patients.
Should I choose Bioidentical Hormone Replacement over other hormone treatments?
- You may not be aware that you are already using hormones in your body. Common products such as Vitamin D, Hydrocortisone creams and Birth Control Pills are all examples of hormone replacement. For many years, people have found ways to prolong life, by allowing soft tissue glands to produce hormones for a longer time than how they used to. Despite these things, the unhealthy lifestyles of people today can damage hormones easily. As a solution, many have turned to Bioidentical Hormones to cure hormonal imbalances. Most people who seek BHRT are men who have low androgen levels and women who experience body changes due to menopause. Experts say that Bioidentical Hormones can increase estrogen and testosterone levels in the body and decrease the chances of having diseases such as prostate cancer and osteoporosis.
Is it vital for women to have hormones through all life stages?
- Hormones are important to women, regardless of age. Imbalance of hormones can cause negative health effects such as insomnia, hot flashes, excessive sweating, mood swing, anxiety, eating problems, depression, loss of memory, loss of sex drive, vaginal dryness, fatigue and weight gain. It has been proven that women with healthy and adequate hormones in their bodies can live better, active lifestyles even as they age.
Will men benefit from testosterone replacement?
- As men grow older, the production of testosterone in their bodies decreases. When this happens, they may experience decreased muscle mass, low physical stamina, slow metabolism, lack of mental focus, obesity, and loss of sex drive. When men undergo Bioidentical Hormone Therapy, their bodies can produce the necessary levels of testosterone that they need to reduce health risks and other symptoms of andropause.
When is the best time for me to get Bioidentical Hormone Therapy?
- After your mid-twenties, your body’s hormone production may start to decline. This may cause hormonal imbalances, which you may also experience during your mid-thirties. Men and women do not need to wait until they are 35 or 40 to get BHRT. As they say, the earlier, the better.
Does Bioidentical Hormones have side effects?
- Bioidentical Hormones are created to pattern the molecular structure of hormones made by the body, thus, there are very little chances of experiencing negative effects. Most unwanted effects may occur when the body has not yet adjusted or when the dosage is very high for the patient.
When can I see the results of Bioidentical Hormones?
- The efficacy of BHRT may vary from one person to another. Normally, the results can be noticed within three to six months. Around this time, the body is expected to adjust to the Bioidentical Hormones.
Is there are a specific age for people to get Bioidentical Hormone Therapy?
- Health experts recommend that men and women consult their doctors as soon as they feel symptoms of menopause, andropause and other hormonal imbalances. This makes it easier for doctors to have their imbalances cured before they get worst. Studies show that those who get Bioidentical Hormone treatments as early as possible are able to live longer and healthier than those who wait until their forties.
Does FDA regulate Bioidentical Hormone Therapy?
- Hormones used in BHRT or BHT, such as estrogen, progesterone and testosterone have been used by health experts for a long time and are regulated by the FDA. Conversely, jurisdictions over these products are handled by state and local pharmacy boards and not the FDA. If you are using Bioidentical Hormones from top-quality facilities, there is nothing for you worry about since they all go through stringent inspections.
Do I have to take Bioidentical Hormones for the rest of my life?
- Depending on how your body reacts to your treatment plan, you may not be required to take BHT your whole life. This may also vary on what you engage your life into such as workout routines, the food that you eat and other things that can help your body restore your hormonal balance. There are patients who are able to continue with their lives without BHRT after they have regained their healthy lifestyles.
- Patients who are suffering from thyroid and adrenal problems may also discontinue BHRT once their conditions are stabilized. Treatments may vary on the stability of each patient and how well their bodies are responding to the hormones.
- On the other hand, there are instances when people need to rely on BHRT because their bodies can no longer produce enough hormones to improve their health conditions.
Does Bioidentical Hormone Replacement hinder patients from taking other prescribed medications?
- In general, there are no negative effects when taking BHRT together with prescribed medications. It is best though, to check if the dosages of these medications need to be stopped, increased or continued based on your medical condition.
Are birth control pills prescribed by doctors also considered Bioidentical Hormone Replacement Therapy?
- Birth control pills are considered among the common hormone products in the market, but they are different from BHRT. Birth control pill hormones are artificial. This means that they are not made exactly to match the hormones inside every patient.
Will Bioidentical Hormones be beneficial to me?
- Bioidentical hormones can be beneficial to anyone, especially women who are experiencing the dilemmas of menopause. Those who are having extreme headaches, hot flashes, vaginal dryness and other discomforts due to hormonal disproportions can consult their doctors for BHRT.
What is the Women’s Health Initiative of 1991 all about?
- The NIH or National Institutes of Health launched the Women’s Health Initiative (WHI) in 1991 to help women combat common causes of disabilities, deaths and illnesses that they may experience during postmenopausal stages of their lives. The WHI provides seminars and treatments to women through Synthetic Hormonal Therapy to prevent breast and colon cancer, heart diseases and osteoporosis.
- Women who have been studied by WHI were all postmenopausal, approximately aged sixty-eight and above. It is also important to take note that they have had at least fifteen years without any kind of treatment, which may have led to the development of diseases that BHRT might have prevented. Since BHRT has not been widely studied that time, Synthetic Hormones were used and not Bioidentical Hormones that many find beneficial today.
I don’t hear many doctors prescribing Bioidentical Hormones, why?
- Not all doctors are experts with new health breakthroughs, thus, some may not be able to prescribe or discuss further about Bioidentical Hormones.
Should I ask for a prescription when getting Bioidentical Hormone Therapy?
- You will need a doctor’s prescription to get BHRT, as they are considered compounded medications by pharmacies. The prescription should clearly indicate the type of Bioidentical Hormone Therapy that you need. This is because the main focus of BHRT is to cater to the hormonal needs of patients individually.
Can BHRT help decrease stress levels?
- People who are suffering from hormonal imbalances are likely to experience increased tension. Bioidentical Hormone Therapy can help decrease stress levels and improve stamina to prevent the common symptoms of anxiety.
Is my low sex drive caused by hormonal imbalance?
- Hormonal imbalances are proven to decrease sexual drive, thus, taking BHRT can help.
Are my imbalanced hormones causing me struggles during PMS?
- Women may experience severe discomforts during PMS. Consulting a doctor can help a lot in confirming the level of hormones in one’s body.
What are my options to take Bioidentical Hormone Therapy?
There are various ways on how BHRT can be administered. The common methods are indicated below:
• Capsules — Capsules are very common and used by patients who do not have problems swallowing medications.
• Creams — These are topical emulsions for people experiencing skin problems due to hormonal problems.
• Triturates — Patients having problems swallowing capsules or tablets are given triturates. They are formulated the same as tablets, but in powdered form. The medications are placed under the tongue, which can aid in faster absorption in the bloodstream.
• Troches — Troches are similar to triturates, but they are softened between the gums and cheeks of the patients.
• Rapid Dissolve Tablets — RDTs are the latest types of dissolvable tablets. They are bigger in size, which makes them perfect for patients needing higher doses. They can dissolve under the tongue approximately within 30 seconds, unlike other medications. They can also be infused with flavors for patients who dislike the bitter aftertaste of most medicines.
The Advantages of Getting Bioidentical Hormones
Below are some of the advantages of Bioidentical Hormones for men and women.
Advantages of Bioidentical Hormones for Women:
1. Can help regulate imbalanced hormones in the body
2. Reduction of Post-Menopausal Syndrome symptoms
3. Reduces the risk of Osteoporosis
4. Increased vaginal lubrication
5. Can help decrease the instances of experiencing hot flashes
6. Reduces the occurrences of insomnia
7. Prevents heart diseases
8. Improves muscle mass and stamina
9. Prevents memory loss
10. Slows down the process of aging
11. Regulates and restores healthy cholesterol levels
12. Improves sexual drive
13. Prevents the risks of developing Alzheimer’s disease
14. Regulates sweat glands
15. Improves sleeping patterns
16. Burns excess fats
17. Improves endurance
18. Decreases the risks of getting Fibrocystic Breasts
19. Reduces the risk of having breast cancer
20. Prevents anxiety
21. Promotes blood circulation
22. Prevents difficulties in moving, joint and muscle pains
23. Improves skin elasticity
24. Helps maintain normal blood sugar levels
25. Improves the immune system
26. Enables an active, productive lifestyle, especially for elderly women
Advantages of Bioidentical Hormones for Men:
1. Normalizes hormonal levels
2. Increases energy levels
3. Improves blood flow
4. Assists in muscle development
5. Improves sexual performance and stamina
6. Can help heal Hypogonadism
7. Can increase testosterone and sperm production
8. Longer endurance when doing physical activities
9. Enhances brain function and prevents memory loss
10. Prevents unnecessary depression
11. Prevents kidney and other urinary tract infections
12. Protects against heart diseases
13. Increases the production of collagen for skin elasticity
14. Prevents brittle bones
15. Assists in burning excess fats
16. Improves sleeping cycles
17. Helps retain muscle mass
Advantages of Bioidentical Hormones in General:
1. Maintains and restores hormonal balance
2. Helps maintain high energy levels
3. Provides tailored solutions compared to Synthetic Hormones
4. Can be used in various ways, such as through oral and topical medications
5. Can be absorbed by the skin effectively
6. Less side effects when taken with other prescription drugs
7. Does not cause insomnia and other sleeping problems
8. Prevents the production of most cancer cells
9. Can be matched according to one’s needs
10. Can be accepted by the body easily
11. Delays the process of aging, physically and mentally
As we are experts on this field, we would like to extend our medical services to those who are suffering adrenal fatigue, different kinds of stresses, early menopausal symptoms, menopause, perimenopause, andropause and other unfavorable effects of hormonal problems.
Bioidentical Hormone health professionals can answer all your questions about this treatment, provide you all the information that you need and clarify common issues that you may hear about BHT or BHRT. They can provide you great tips on how to overcome common menopause or andropause symptoms. They can also conduct hormone testing, to guide you on the right kinds of treatments that you need.
A competent Bioidentical Hormone specialist can give you all the benefits of a happy and healthy life, before, during and even after menopause, andropause and other stages of hormone imbalances. By getting the right treatments, you can regain an active lifestyle with your loved ones.